Monday, March 21, 2011

Dirt! The Movie available for free viewing

Dirt! The MovieI previously mentioned that I'd run across the trailer for Dirt! The Movie. I'm happy to announce that Dirt! is now available for free viewing on Hulu. You can watch it by following this link. Or just click play below.

The movie had some strengths and some weaknesses. It did stress how important dirt is to our survival and how the destruction of top soil has eliminated agricultural opportunities and as a result has caused war. It did this in a pretty powerful way.

I was also touched by the bit about a program that allows prison inmates to garden, and then transitions them into similar landscaping work once they're released.

Some bits were plain hokey, though. As someone that's a little more pragmatic, and not nearly new age enough for a lot of the "hippy talk" it was lost on me. If you're the same way, it'll probably be lost on you too.

It's not all bad though, and even with a slow start there's plenty in here that's worth seeing.

If for nothing else, watch it for the story of the hummingbird. I'm not going to give it away; you'll just have to watch the movie. What I will say is that it's a very powerful parable.

And that's what I'll leave you with.


Any other documentaries I should see? I've cancelled my Netflix subscription on account of them not support Linux, so I haven't been watching a lot of documentaries. If you have any recommendations, though, I'll see if I can get it through the library.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...